Students who want to study Masters in USA, and some other countries take GRE (Graduate Record Examination). GRE is generally conducted all-round the year and students can appear for it as per their convenience. Majority students who want to study abroad in USA for MS or MBA opt for GRE general test as it is widely accepted worldwide for the admission. Here is all you need to know about GRE Exam Details and GRE Exam Pattern:
There are two types of GRE exam:
- GRE General Test
- GRE Subject Test
- GRE General Test mostly aims at candidate’s overall aptitude and reasoning abilities, along with his / her analytical writing skills.
- GRE Subject Test is taken to assess candidate’s knowledge in a specific subject or a field of study. There are six types of specific subjects students can take tests for.
GRE Exam Pattern for GRE General Test:
GRE general test have three scored parts namely:
- Analytical Writing
- Verbal Reasoning
- Quantitative Reasoning
- Analytical Writing is the assessment of student’s ability to express complex ideas and put well-framed opinions based on the evidence and examples. It also evaluate candidate’s ability to sustain an unbroken flow in the writing.
- Verbal Reasoning is the assessment of candidate’s ability to analyse the data and draw conclusions from it, comprehend and summarise it, and add to the provided data when needed. It also focuses on words and relationship between words and concepts.
- Quantitative Reasoning is about understanding and analysing the given mathematical data thoroughly, and after that, applying basic mathematical concepts to solve the given problems. The basic mathematical concepts include many subtopics like Arithmetic, Algebra, Geometry and Data Interpretation.
Here is the GRE paper pattern for general test:
|No. of Sections||Duration||No. of Sections||Duration|
|Analytical Writing||2 sections
|60 minutes||1 section
|Verbal Reasoning||2 sections
|70 minutes||2 section
|Quantitative Reasoning||2 sections
|80 minutes||2 section
GRE Subject Test Pattern:
GRE Exam Pattern for Biology subject consist of three subtopics:
- Cellular and Molecular Biology
- Organismal Biology
- Ecology and Evolution
Equal weightage is given to all these topics. The test is taken in the format of MCQ.
|Total Number of Questions:||190|
A test booklet is provided with Periodic Table on it, the booklet also provide some conversion formulas between SI Units and some physical constants.
|Total Number of Questions:||130|
Literature in English Test:
The Literature in English test contains English Language literature form British Isles, United States and other parts of the world. It can be form a novel, criticism, essay, short story, poetry or biography. The data can be the whole work of an author, or an excerpt of it.
|Total Number of Questions:||230|
For GRE Exam Pattern in Mathematics, Out of total 66 questions, approximately 50 per cent are asked from Calculus and its applications. About half of the remaining questions come from elementary arithmetic and algebra.
|Total Number of Questions:||66|
It is an MCQ type Exam consisting of 100 questions. This test is assessment of candidate’s ability to grasp fundamental principle of physics and their application for problem solving. Candidates have to answer questions based on graphs, diagrams, and descriptions of Physical Situations.
|Total Number of Questions:||100|
The Psychology test is made of 205 multiple-choice questions. The six subtopics of the GRE Psychology test contains:
- Clinical, Measurement/Methodology/Other.
From the data given, student might have to conclude answers, analyse relationships and apply basic principles.
|Total Number of Questions:||205|